As you may have read from my previous posts, going out with the triplets is something that I'm slooowly getting used to. Neither Aaron nor I are the type of people who enjoy getting a lot of attention but with triplets in tow (especially in their red min-bus of a stroller), it's impossible NOT to attract attention. Of course, 90% of people don't approach us -- they stare from afar and we hear their well-meaning comments as we walk by. We hear a lot of "Wow -- look at that, TRIPLETS", "they sure have their hands full!" "One, Two, Three -- wow" "looks like 2 boys and a girl"-- you get the picture. Very weird to know that so many people are watching and taking notice of you, but we're trying to get used to it.
What I can't (and will never) get used to, is people (strangers, that is) who want to touch my babies [[this happened with Owen when he was a baby as well...I just don't get it!]]. I had an older gentleman today ask if it was ok to take a picture of Mayleah. Aaron and I had pulled the stroller behind some booths so that we could feed the babies. This older man chatted with Aaron for about 5 minutes. He was generous and gave Aaron a silver dollar for each baby....odd, but generous. Aaron answered his questions but tried to give some body language that we'd prefer not to give all the babies' (and our) personal details out to strangers. This guy got the hint from Aaron, but couldn't leave well enough alone and then approached me and talked to me for a few minutes. He was armed with a camera and I could tell the question was coming -- he asked if it was ok to photograph Mayleah. I said it depending on what he was planning on doing with the picture and he replied that he wasn't sure. So, I politely declined. I just think it's odd that there would be a random picture of my baby in the hands of someone I don't know.... He was OK with my response and moved on. Fine. Weird situation, but whatever.
As we headed back towards our car, Mayleah started to fuss, so I pulled over the mini-bus as best I could so that I wouldn't be blocking foot traffic and started to get her out of her car seat. Meanwhile, two women approached with all the normal questions, but I noticed one of them reach into Grant's seat to lift his hat so she could see his face. He's sleeping and sorry, but I'd prefer for strangers to keep their hands OFF my babies, so I said to her "I'm sorry, but please don't touch". She ignored me, continued to talk to her friend and proceeded to do the same to Mason, so I repeated to her again "Please don't touch". What IS it with these people! It was at that point that someone in her party asked "how old are they?" and I responded "3 and half months". It was then that I heard a man say (in a demeaning and sarcastic tone), "And you brought them out to this place, great mom." I was shocked. (Disclaimer -- I am NOT proud of what happened next). I turned to my husband and told him what this man said and then turned back and while he was walking away I said (ok, I might have yelled) "that was an inappropriate comment, sir" to which he replied "it was just a comment" and I responded again that it was inappropriate. Aaron also walked up to him and told him that he didn't need to worry about what other people were doing and he should keep his comments to himself. I don't think he expected us to react to what he said, but I couldn't let him get away with it. I followed (and accidentally pushed the mini-bus into the heels of this guy's older son (I think it was his son anyway -- he looked just like him, only he was about 20 years old versus 50ish -- at any rate, I apologized to the son for running into him) and proceeded to tell him that his comment was mean and that he had know idea what it was like to be in our shoes so he should keep his comments to himself. I mean, really. Did he make similar comments to people who were out with their babies who were just as young as ours (we just happened to have had 3 of them at the same time)? Why did he think taking them out for a walk at an art fair made me a bad mom? And, even if he thought that, why, on God's green earth, would he feel it's appropriate to tell a stranger (with whom he can not relate) his thoughts? Just to make me feel bad and to be a jerk -- that's the only reason I can come up with.
While I'm still pissed that he damped (to put it nicely) the nice morning that I was having with my family, I'm thankful that I had the experience. Ok, maybe 'thankful' isn't the right word. But I know one thing....I'm not happy with how I responded to him or the situation. I need to work on keeping my cool especially around my babies as they get older. I've heard from other triplet moms that people say some pretty awful things to you about having triplets and this guy proved to me that my family will not be left unscathed by these idiotic, ignorant, and thoughtless people. But, my job as a mother is to show by example to my children that you can (and should) stand up for yourself and for your family in these situations -- I just need to work on doing it so that I'm not embarrassed by my actions afterwards. But hey -- I do give myself a little bit of credit. I really, really wanted to tell him to f*&^ off but I was successful at keeping that to myself. Sure would've felt good in the moment, though...haha ;o)




Carrie, I'm so sorry you had this bad experience. I think you were the perfect mom in the situation -- what mama bear doesn't want to rip the guy's face off and feed it to him? All you did was point out to him that he was rude.
ReplyDeleteI'll bet he didn't go home and tell people about this the way you did. What's he going to say? "All I did was tell her she was a bad mom." He KNOWS he was in the wrong.
Christy
BTW, love the new look! Did you design it yourself?
Hey Carrie... nice work. Don't deny yourself the occasional well-targeted "f*&^ off and mind your business." Thanks for the story! (And I like your new look, too.)
ReplyDeleteOMG!! You and Aaron handled the situation very well. The man who made the comment is ignorant and close minded. Always remember you are a wonderful mom! Many blessings to you all, sweetness!
ReplyDeleteI think you'll be able to find that line between standing up for yourself and setting the example because they need to see you defending your family too! I think you handled it perfectly. Hopefully he realized he was being rude!
ReplyDeleteI agree, Carrie. I don't think you were wrong in telling him his comment was inappropriate at all. I guess you need to just watch the way you respond in terms of tone because that is what Owen will really pay attention to. I think if others have the audacity to pass judgment on where you take your kids, then they should be prepared to receive responses. I think it will benefit the kids and Owen in the end to see how you are willing to stick up for them. At the same time, it can only go so far like you and Aaron both said beacuse in the end, other people's opinions don't matter.
ReplyDeleteCarrie, people always amaze me (the good and bad) but unfortunately you saw the bad. First off, the ladies that reached in the mini-bus...really not necessary or appropriate. But for that guy to say that was totally ridiculous. I think you defended your family perfectly. I mean, what are you supposed to do? Stay at home and never leave? I applaud you for getting out of the house with your family and beautiful children!!!
ReplyDeleteCarrie,
ReplyDeleteWow. First I think it is great you took yhe kids to the artfair. We wanted to go, but I did not have the energy to get all 3 kiddos together. Anyhow, people can be so rude. I overheard somebody say behind my back the other day that we were a great advertisement for birth control! For real. Arg. We should all get together again soon. Strength in numbers :)
Abby
Carrie, I love the way you handled the situation. You were assertive, yet not agressive, and definitely not bitchy, even though you had every right to have been. I'm proud of you for not letting the situation go, and I agree with the others that your family will benefit watching you defend them as the Mama Bear. People are idiots (myself included at times); I'm sorry you had to experience this first hand at what was supposed to be a nice family tradition. :(
ReplyDeleteYou rock, Mama, for getting your brood out the door and ready for such a public outing!! :)
I am still in awe, and I have read this post three times! I just cannot wrap my head around these freaking strange people!!! Utterly ridiculous...
ReplyDeleteI think your reaction was spot-on! In my opinion, you were uber polite and your self-restraint speaks volumes for your character. I would not have been able to be that calm and polite.