Owen had an ENT follow up appointment -- it was just a regular 6 month check to take a look at his tubes and the timing was right seeing that the previous week (on Papa's birthday) we discovered that Owen had an ear infection. Quick history -- Owen has had 2 sets of tubes inserted in his ear drums to help with ear infections...one at 9 months and one at 18 months (the second surgery he also had his adenoids removed). After the 2nd surgery we also started him on zyrtec and prevacid and he had been ear infection-free since June last year. At the ped's office last week, we discovered both of his tubes had fallen out and his right ear was infected. At the ENT's office last Tuesday, the good news was the antibiotic he was prescribed was working but the bad news was that he has fluid behind both ears. This means he's not hearing as well as he should be and we can already tell in that his speech isn't as clear as it had been. I decided to take Mason along with me to the ENT since Mason's ears were a bit malformed at birth and I thought I'd get Owen's ENT to take a look at them. Two ENTs in the office said they had never seen ears like Mason's but that wasn't a bad thing. Mason's are unique in that they have complete cartilage formation but the skin around the cartilage didn't develop properly. It will be an easy fix, but one that we won't do for a few years. Owen will go back to the ENT in a couple of weeks to check his ears again, but I have a bad feeling he'll be getting a third set of tubes before the end of the year.
On Thursday we had an impromptu visit from Angie and Leo (you can link to their blog here
and see a pic of Angie with all 4 babies). It was great to finally get to meet Leo and get to compare him to our babies. Angie and I were due within a week of each other -- here is the difference between a full term baby and a preemie (Leo is one month old, the triplets are almost 2 months old).
On Friday, Nana and I mustered up the courage to take Owen and the triplets to the park. It took us over a half hour to get everyone ready and in the car, but it was such a beautiful day out and the babies were so well behaved that it was worth it. Owen loves going to the part more than anything and we were able to meet up with some great friends (Jessica, Jill, and Sarah) and their babies. There were 4 mommas, Nana, 11 babies between the 4 of us (my 4, Sarah's twins and 6 month old, Jill's 2 and Jessica's 2) and Sarah's hubby was so kind and brought us lunch. Thanks girls, for giving me a good excuse to get out!
Saturday was another beautiful day, so we got everyone outside in the backyard for a bit. Here are some pics, just because. :o)
Owen being goofy -- notice his new haircut. It had been a long while since we'd gotten around to cutting it. The last time we sat him down for a haircut, it was a nightmare. He screamed, squirmed and was just all around horrible about it. This time, we talked it up, got him a toy bribe (hopefully we won't have to do this everytime!!) and he sat in front of the TV and watched Cars while I cut his hair. He was an absolute angel! Guess I can't blame the bad cut on his squirmy-ness this time!
Mayleah playing
Today (Sunday), we said goodbye to Nana and Papa. They're leaving to go back to Florida for a few weeks. We will surely miss them (in fact, we already do!) and we can't wait for them to come back. We thought it would be good to take a picture of them with all the kids and compare with a pic from when they return.
Nana, Papa, Grant, Mayleah, Mason, and Owen
April 19, 2009
Tomorrow the triplets will be 2 months old! I'll do another group picture tomorrow but probably won't get around to posting it until later this week. Especially if we have more days like today -- the triplets and Owen seem to know when they out-number us. They were all fussy and grumpy today which made it very hard to get anything done other than sit and hold babies all day. We had a wonderful visit from Abie, Ruth, and Zuleika and of course the babies were well-behaved then. It wasn't until after they left that the screaming contest started. :o)
I had a few minutes tonight to finish a mini-collage of Owen from Easter last weekend. I'd like to take a poll....who likes it in color and who likes it better in black and white? Post your vote in the comments (I'd like to hear from all you lurkers out there too who don't often leave comments....just click on the 'comments' link. you don't have to have a blogger account to comment, just comment as anonymous but leave your name within the comment). Thanks!!









C- I usually like black and white, but I really like the colors this time. Great pics, and glad you got out to the park, looks like such fun!
ReplyDeleteCarrie, you are doing fabulously to take lots of pics and post them once a week! :) I know you are just a little busy... ;)
ReplyDeleteThe babies are getting so big!! :) I love the pics of the four kiddos with your parents--what a fun idea to compare for the next time.
The collage of Owen is incredible! You are very talented. :) I really like both, but if I have to pick one, I think the color one really makes Owen pop. :)
I really like them both, but if forced to pick I like the BW.
ReplyDeleteIt was so great to see you and meet those babies! Who would have ever thought our first chance to get together would be at a park outing? Crazy mamas, aren't we?