Monday, January 26, 2009

Mental set back

I went in for a regular OB check up today and decided to ask a few questions about the triplets' delivery.  I asked things like, "will I get to see the babies after they're born?", "will I have a spinal or an epidural?", and lastly "When will we schedule the c-section?"  The last question sparked a conversation about my due date.  As many of you know, you can calculate a due date a few different ways.  Since the doctors at Maternal Fetal Medicine had been routinely using my LMP to calculate how far a long I am, I adopted this approach a while back.  That's how I came to say I was 30 weeks last Monday and 31 weeks today.   However, since we went through fertility treatments and had an early ultrasound, my OB is going by the due date estimated from the first ultrasound since that date is supposed to be more accurate.  That date moves my 40 week due date from March 30th to April 4th.   Only a difference of 5 days, right?  Well, 5 days is a lot when you're already enormous and uncomfortable 24 hours a day.  So, that moves my goal of 36 weeks from March 2nd to March 7th.  And guess what --- March 7th is a Saturday.  AND My doctor is out of town the end of that week.  So, he scheduled my c-section for Tuesday, March 10th, one day before my 33rd birthday.  

For those of you who aren't keeping up with me, that means I have 6 weeks and 1 day left of being pregnant rather than the 5 weeks I thought I had left prior to my OB appt today.  

So, I'm not 31 weeks today....I'm a mere 30 weeks and 2 days.  :o(  

In no way do I want these babies born tomorrow or even next week -- I just had a goal and it was getting closer and seemed a bit more attainable.  This is just a minor mental set back that I'll get over soon but will likely whine for a few days before I move on....

On a more positive note, my BP is still good and my exam went well today.  I had another fetal fibronectin test done today -- will get the results tomorrow.  If the FFN comes back positive (not what we want), Dr M wants to go ahead with the steroid shots for the babies' lungs.  I also had some more blood drawn today to keep an eye on my platelet counts and make sure I'm not getting too anemic.  Will likely get those results back tomorrow as well.  We have another measurement ultrasound scheduled for Thursday and in 2 weeks, we'll start doing weekly stress tests on the babies.   

7 comments:

  1. That sucks(coming from another triplet mom)! 5 days does sound like an eternity, but you will be fine. I hope your tests come back negitive. The steroid shot is not fun. I had numbness in all of my joints for 2 days. Keep me up to date on your progress. We are 2 of only 3 expecting mom's left!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. Typically 5 days doesn't sound like a big deal but when you are pregnant, and pregnant with trips nonetheless, it seems like an eternity! I feel for you but you are right, the longer they stay in the better. It's great you have your CS scheduled though and now you have the date!

    Glad the BP check was good--yeah yeah! Keep us updated!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carrie,

    My name is Kirsten, and I'm a member of the public relations team that raises awareness for FullTerm, The Fetal Fibronectin test. I must say I’ve read your blog and loved it. Owen saying he’s pregnant as well is just too cute for words. I know you must be busy preparing for the birth of your twins in March but I wanted to touch base with you to see if you might be interested in linking to the FullTerm website (www.fullterm.net)?

    Additionally, if you're interested in helping spread awareness about the benefits of the FullTerm Test, please contact me by emailing fullterm@schwartz-pr.com. My team generates stories about the benefits of the test among women at high risk for delivering early in national, local and online outlets. In the last few months we've secured stories in Working Mother magazine, the FitPregnancy Blog and the Boston Parent's Paper. Most recently we secured the following article on the Lively Women Blog: http://www.livelywomen.com/2008/12/05/interview-prevention-of-preterm-births/#more-1458

    We're always interested in speaking with women who had the test and are willing to share their experience to make sure other, at-risk pregnant women know there is a test available to help predict premature birth.

    I hope to hear from you.

    Regards,
    Kirsten
    fullterm@schwartz-pr.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie, I'm sure that was the last thing you were expecting to hear. Hopefully the FFN came back negative again! I know it's super hard, but try to stay positive and focus on Owen and those babies. Let's set up another visit soon for both our sakes, it will do you good to have company. It sounds like you are about to get pretty darn busy, weekly appointments will help the time pass!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my Carrie! It is so weird how everyone calculates those due dates differently. You are doing SOOOO well with this pregnancy. I really cannot believe how well you are doing. Hang in there and feel free to call on me if you ever need help, food, a babysitter, whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be upset too if someone told me I was less pregnant then I thought I was---its just mean to do to a pregnant lady, exp one with triplets!!! You are doing great! Maybe you will have them on March 2---my birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ughh I know that has to be hard to wrap your head around Carrie. You had one date in mind and now need rethink it. You can do it! I know you are incredibly strong and I admire you for being able to do this. Just carrying one was hard and I can't even imagine how you are feeling right now. If you need anything let me know. can't believe Nate is already 5 weeks. Time flies..

    ReplyDelete