April
March 1996 - January 2009
Today we said good bye to my first fur-baby, April. I brought April home when I was a sophomore in college -- she was 6 weeks old. If you read my post "A week we'll hopefully not have to repeat", you knew that April's health has been significantly declining over the last few months. She suffered from congestive heart failure and in the last few weeks she's been increasingly uncomfortable. April had a wonderful life -- she would have been 13 this March, so she lived significantly longer than most Dalmatians, especially so since she wasn't the result of great breeding and had allergies, ear and heart problems her entire life. She was spoiled as an only dog for 6 years before I brought my 2 other dogs into my home (Winnie and Bailey). We spoiled her again today -- Aaron went to Three Dog Bakery last night and got her some really yummy treats that she enjoyed immensely this morning (see pics below). Since we opted to have the vet come to our house for the euthanasia, I was able to snuggle and love on her in her last moments here in our home. It was a heartbreaking yet peaceful process.
April, Winnie and Bailey snuggling on the couch shortly after Owen was born in 2006
April and Bailey just a few weeks ago.
April excited about getting her treats this morning.
Owen giving April one of her treats.
We love you, April. You will always be a part of our hearts and our family.




Oh Carrie - she is beautiful. I know it was a hard decision, but it was right. My thoughts are with you tonight. Let yourself grieve over the loss. XO
ReplyDeleteOh Carrie. I am crying reading this. I am so sorry you had to go through that. My thoughts are with you.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry, Carrie. April was obviously very loved and returned that love.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for your loss. :(
ReplyDeleteShe's frolicking in the sun right now. And looking down on you and your family with love.
I'm so sorry Carrie. I sit here in tears for you. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteApril was such an obviously loved little puppy. And so beautiful, too. I hope her transition was peaceful, and I'm sure you loving on her in her final moments made her immensely happy. I'll be thinking of you and your family as you grieve for her. I'm so sorry.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful post for a very beautiful dog. I am so glad she had you as her mommy and you gave her such an amazing life.
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts are with you!
April will be missed. She was a great dog. I am so sorry Carrie. I know it is hard to lose a pet especially one that close. April is at peace now and in no more pain. She was well loved and and I know she knew it.
ReplyDeleteI know we have never met, but I just found your blog, and have read about April on the yahoo group! I am so sorry for your loss! She looks like such a sweet dog! I have a dog that is 11 years old whose health is declining, and I've had him since he was 7 weeks, so I know I will be in your shoes soon. My thoughts are with you!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss. I didn't even know April and I have tears in my eyes. I know how hard it is to lose a pet. They are such an important part of the family. We will be thinking about you and your family!
ReplyDeleteCarrie I am so sorry about the loss of April! I know it was a tough decision for you--my thoughts are with your family!
ReplyDeleteI think anyone who has ever had to put their dog to sleep cannot read something like this and not weep in empathy. You know you are doing the right thing because letting the dog suffer isn't fair. April was such a beautiful dog and I'm sure you have many, many fond memories of your years together. She made your life a happier place and vice-versa. As painful as it is, you have to remember that your life was fuller because she was a part of it and soon you will have 3 new babies to help fill that space! I have a feeling there will be A LOT of cuddling in your near future.
ReplyDeleteCarrie... I'm so sorry. My family said goodbye to our dalmation, Dalley, 18 months ago. She came into our family when I was in 8th grade. We had her 13 years as well. We had the vet come to our home too. It's so hard to say goodbye, even knowing she is in a better place. I'm thinking of you and your family.
ReplyDelete*with tears flowing down my cheeks for you*,
Natalie Reynolds
p.s. good luck with the rest of your pregnancy - still can't believe you have 3 babies coming!