Thursday, February 26, 2009

Quick update -- Babies are 6 days old today (title amended from 5 days to 6- guess I'm not good at counting days when I'm sleep deprived)

Hi again. I've been wanting to post another update for a few days but it's amazing how time passes so quickly between pumping every 2-3 hours, trying to get to the NICU to feed babies every 2-3 hours and doing just basic things like taking a shower, getting a bite to eat and trying to rest (again, trying being the operative word).

The babies are all doing well, but we had a rough 48 hours. On Monday evening we were informed that the doctors were moving our babies from the NICU to the CCN (continuing care nursery) because they were doing so well. We were excited that they were doing that well, but were uninformed about the CCN and how it differed from the NICU. To make a long story short, the CCN is a 10 bed nursery where babies who just need some extra monitoring but often times are stable enough to visit the parents' room frequently are kept. It's only been open in St. Vincent Women's hospital since May 2008. It's small, bright, and the babies are pretty much lined up right next to each other. This meant a lot of chaos the night that our babies were admitted there since the CCN also had 4 other babies admitted at the same time as ours. I was overwhelmed by the noise and commotion that went on there during my first visit and that wasn't made any better by having a nurse who did not understand my requests regarding splitting my milk between the babies for their feedings. That was my first clue that the nurses in the CCN were not always NICU-trained nurses -- they are mostly nurses from family care (or post-partum). The following day during our visit was a little less hectic but I still did not find myself comfortable visiting our babies since the other babies in the CCN are so much older they have much louder cries and I couldn't relax at all. To top it off, later on Tuesday evening, the babies' NG tubes had to be replaced. Mason and Mayleah both did well during their procedure, but Grant got very angry and upset during his NG tube replacement and had a hard time calming down and getting his oxygen saturation back up afterwards. We finally got him calmed, I fed him his bottle and he went to sleep so Aaron, Christi (who was there for a visit) and I left for the night. Aaron and I went home since I had been discharged that day. Leaving my babies at the hospital was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. When I woke up to pump at about 4:30am the next morning, I called the CCN to check on Grant since he had a rough time while we were there. I was surprised that the doctor wanted to talk to me. Turns out that Grant's NG tube was not inserted correctly -- instead of it being in his esophagus and down to his tummy where it should be, it was down his trachea and in his lungs. So, when they fed him at 3am and he didn't take his bottle, they needed to put the rest of his feeding down the tube and he went into distress. Thankfully he recovered quickly with some oxygen and they removed his tube, but this was definitely a set back for him. He was put back on IV fluids and in a warmer so to try and remove the stress of keeping his own body temp and taking food by mouth and allow his little body to recover. So far, his follow up chest xrays and blood checks have shown that he's recovering well. They'll repeat chest xrays again this morning followed by more blood work. If those come back good he'll likely be able to start taking bottles again today.

Before the incident with Grant happened, my husband and I had decided that we wanted the babies moved back to the NICU. We couldn't relax in the CCN during our visits and we truly felt that the babies still needed some specialized care. The incident with Grant confirmed our feelings and yesterday around noon, the babies were moved back to NICU. I visited them all yesterday and last night and everyone is doing well. I took a video of all of them that I'll try to post later today or tomorrow.

Here's some good news -- as of last night Mason and Mayleah had both maintained their weight from the previous day. Yay!!! Both of them are doing well with their bottles, but they are still not consistently taking the entire minimum amount they need to eat through the bottle, so their NG tubes are frequently used. Mayleah and Mason are both in their clothes and in open-air cribs and maintaining their body temps wonderfully. Grant had gained an ounce from Tuesday evening to Wednesday evening but that was likely due to him being back on IV fluids.

Even better news -- Monday I was able to start trying to nurse my babies. This was the greatest gift that the doctors could give me. Mayleah is a champ -- she's able to latch on fairly well and even get a good couple of gulps in (it's common for girls to get nursing much earlier and better than boys -- but then again, girls rule, right? haha). Mason is slightly interested but has a long way to go to keep up with his sister. Before Grant's NG tube incident, he was doing great as well. I'm going to spend more time snuggling him today since I haven't really gotten to hold him since Tuesday.

Here are some pictures of the babies from Tuesday and a picture of Owen enjoying some balloons that Janelle sent us (thanks, Janelle!).





The babies back together again -- this was the first time since they were in the womb
Mason, without tubes! (they were put back after the pictures were taken)

Grant -- we have a picture of Owen doing this exact same thing. :o)

Miss Mayleah -- the babies's skin really doesn't like that tape they use!

Mason taking his bottle


Mayleah snoozing

Daddy feeding Mason

Again, thank you all for your emails, phone calls, meals, well wishes and prayers. I wish I had time to thank everyone in person and return phone calls. Please know that I love you all and can't wait to get these babies healthy and home so that we can share them with you.

Much love,
Carrie

9 comments:

  1. Carrie, that is disappointing that the CCN wasn't a good experience, but good for you and Aaron for being the kind of parents to insist on the best care for your babies. They look awesome, and I love that picture of Owen. I'm sure it was really hard to be discharged yourself but hopefully a night in your own bed got you some good rest? Keep on growing, babies, you're doing so great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie and Aaron: rock on for figuring out what is best for your family! I can't wait to cuddle the little ones and take care of you guys and Owen!! They look great, you are doing such a wonderful job (per usual). And yes - GIRLS DO ROCK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie, Your experience with Grant sounds so scary! Glad everything ended up okay. Those babies are just gorgeous! It's too bad the tape is so hart on them but it looks like Angelina Jolie gave them each a lip-stick kiss on the cheek. ;) I'm so happy you're all doing well! Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, could those babies possibly be anymore beautiful??!

    I am so glad they were put back in NICU. I can't imagine how stressful your experience in the CCN must have been. I think it's awesome that you stepped up and demanded what you knew was best for your sweeties.

    I'm glad to see you're all doing well, and am anxious to hear about how Owen is adjusting to his new brothers and sister! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a scary experience for little Grant! It makes me a little angry that they got the tube in the wrong place, but I am not sure how common that is for that to happen. I'm sure the tube insertion is very difficult on small babies like that. Regardless, I am so glad that he is doing better now.

    I am really happy to hear that you have been able to breastfeed them directly a little bit! What a wonderful bonding experience for you. It must be nice that Daddy has a little chance to feed them as well this time around.

    Take care! Can't wait to visit sometime. We'll wait until things calm down a bit and life is a little more stable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your babies are just SO gorgeous! Those pics are awesome. :)

    On positive notes, yay for being discharged and for nursing!

    I am so sorry Grant had some stress, and I would have been pissed beyong belief that someone inserted his tube incorrectly!! WTF?!!

    I am also sorry you experienced the stress with the CCN. I am happy they are going back to the NICU where they will get the very best care that they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Carrie! I am so sorry to hear that Grant had such a rough time with the NG placement. But glad all is better now! Thanks for the updates on how you and those 3 beautiful babies are doing.

    I love the pic of Owen carrying the balloons--adorable! I bet it was tough going home without the babies but at least you know they are in good hands in the NICU. Like the other said, I am sorry the CCN was not a better experience but I am glad you feel comfortable with the NICU.

    Yeah for the breastfeeding!! You are doing just great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carrie, I am so sad over what happened to Grant. I would have freaked out! We felt all the NICU nurses we had were so great and very competent. Our kid were never in the CCN, but I would make sure your experiance is known to the big wigs there. We got a satisfaction survey after the kids were discharged, make sure to fill that out!
    Your kids are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carrie, My heart was pounding when I read your blog. I guess we know little Grant is a tough little guy, glad to hear he gave those nurses hell! But I'm sorry that even happened. That picture of Mason looks alot like Shane! When I saw the tape marks I thought Nana wore too much lipstick! Ouch, you would think someone would have come up with a better method by now...get on it Papa...start inventing! I think we all knew that Mayleah would lead the pack! Go Girl!!!

    ReplyDelete