But I can't avoid it any more. Yesterday I was admitted to the high risk unit at St. V's. Last week, I was 2 cm dilated and my doc told me then that if I dilated much more, they would consider hospitalization. Well, yesterday at my OB appointment, I was 4 cm dilated. And since he's a man of his word (thanks, Dr. M!), he promptly admitted me---I wasn't even allowed to go home and get the rest of my stuff. To make a long story short, I have a higher risk of breaking my water since I'm dilating. And to top it off, none of the babies is in the right position (they're all breach and up high in my pelvis), so there's a chance that if my water breaks, one of the babies' cords could prolapse and cause an emergency situation where they will have to deliver the babies right away (i.e., I would be put under general anesthesia and they wouldn't wait for Aaron to arrive before getting the babies out). The other 2 scenarios are 1) my cervix cooperates and stops dilating since I'm being a good patient and staying in bed or 2) my cervix continues to dilate but my water doesn't break. Either of these other 2 scenarios are better than the first one I described. Scenario 1 allows the babies to stay in and cook a bit longer, and scenario 2 will prompt the docs to deliver the babies, but under a more calm, and controlled environment.
While it's best for the babies to stay in as long as possible, I know that at this point they'll be fine if they are born now. They're all good sizes, and continue to grow stronger (well, at least their kicks get stronger every day). They'd likely have to be in the NICU for a bit just to grow but should need minimal intervention.
Owen is doing good, although I'm not sure he really has any idea of what's going on. I miss seeing him but these are just a short couple of weeks out of his life that he more than likely won't remember in a month or two.
I'm so thankful for everyone's thoughts and prayers --- please keep them coming. Things have gone very smoothly so far in this pregnancy, hopefully the babies' delivery will be just as smooth and they'll have minimal time in the NICU.
A big thanks to Lindsey and Maxine who won the prize for being my first visitors and also to Mila, Nestor and Zoe who so thoughtfully brought us lunch today. You guys are awesome!!! It was great to see you and definitely helped pass the time.
I'm off to try and nap ('try' being the operative word). Will try to post with more updates as they occur.
Here's a very flattering (haha) picture my mom took of me just a while ago.

Like I said, you're in the best place for all four of you right now! C'mon cervix....be a good cervix... :-) We wanna see those babies but not under any stressful conditions. You've done a stellar job as a mommy to them already! Keep us updated as best you can, and make sure someone else knows how to update the blog too!
ReplyDeleteHang in there Carrie!! We are all thinking of you and your babies. You are doing the best you can and those babies will benefit from it for sure. Take care of yourself best you can.
ReplyDeleteHang in there girl..just a few more weeks and this will all be a distant memory!!
ReplyDeleteHope the bed rest is just what they needed!!
Take care!
Prayers from Katy, TX!!
You are doing great, Carrie, and are hanging in there like a trooper! Those babies are so incredibly lucky to have such a great, caring mom who has their best interest at heart. I hope that your cervix cooperates and keeps those babies in as long as possible, but isn't it great to know that they are such good size already :)
ReplyDeleteGlad you had some visitors today...what a good way to pass the time. Take care of yourself and "try" to keep us updated! My prayers are with you and those babies!
Carrie- take it as EASY as possible over these next days and hopefully weeks!! You will MORE than need it when the babies come!!!! Hope we can visit soon!
ReplyDeleteCarrie, I am also pregnant with triplets (27.5 weeks) and have a two year old. My sister found your blog a couple weeks back and I have tracked your progress. You are inspiring people all over (esp. me)! Since you are in the hospital and have time, you learn more about our family if you want at www.babyhomepages.net/andycathy_meyer. I will continue to pray for you and those babies!
ReplyDeleteGod Bless, Cathy
I follow your blog through the Melillo's. My cousin had her triplets at 33 weeks and they are all healthy and fine and came home quickly. I hope they can stay in your cozy belly a bit longer but it is so great you made it this long.
ReplyDeleteYou can see the finish line....I am so excited for all of you! You are right, Owen will miss you but will forget all about it sooner rather than later. I will try to pop up this weekend if I can....will call cell first!
ReplyDeleteLove and hugs,
CC